Thursday, September 27, 2012

WILD WEST

When I was growing up in Toronto, I remember hearing one of my friends dad say "you want to know about the west boys, let me tell you something about the west.  It's where all the shit flows!"   Not sure what he meant exactly or what had led him to that particular feeling about the folks on the left coast but for some reason it made me think, that's where I want to be.  As far away from the bizarre and twisted perceptions of an over wound Toronto business man.

So I did and I would have to say it was the best decision I've made in my life.  Second best decision was probably the one to move to Nelson.  It may be the first place I've actually felt proud to say is my home.  I love that little town and it's surrounding communities.  I always hoped for better angling opportunities in the are and it seems my wishes have been granted, the rivers there are really starting to shine.

Peanut and the Precious on the Columbia River

The two main rivers I fish in that area one being the Columbia River and the other I won't mention, are quickly turning into my two favorite rivers to dip flies into.  The Columbia is producing some really large fish and better numbers while the other little gem I guide on over there always gave me numbers but is now starting to show me some size.  Almost all of these fish are on dries that are being twitched and skittered.  The last trip there saw our boats stick well over 30 rainbows in the 18 to 24 range with some really deep, bulging stomachs.  The fishing is on there right now and will be for a while

The Columbia is still not at it's prime flow yet but fishing really well; as it drops more it will  allow some more deflections and and riffles to form giving us more holding water to cast to.  It's going to be excellent fishing there right through October and we have a solid weather forecast that will support it.  It is my intention to focus on this area more next year as the rivers are basically void of angling pressure and are producing as well if not BETTER than the ones of the East Kootenay.  Next season will likely have us over on the Columbia from early June to mid-July before heading back to Fernie until the end of August after which I am going to book both places and I will be urging people to head west for that month, cause in September the West Kootenays is the SHIT!!  Anyone thinking of getting there last kicks in for the season should give us a call and follow the shit the west side of the Kootenays....you will be glad you did


No comments:

Post a Comment